Home       Pictures       Videos       Projects       Contact Me

Friday, March 4, 2011

Backup Vodka

A few months back I made up a couple Half Life bricks and left them around town late at night for my friends to discover. Shortly after that I learned that our friend Val ran outside the next morning to see if she got a block as well. Sadly she did not get a Half Life resistance brick. She was a little disappointed but I had only made the block for friends who avidly played video games. I felt bad I left someone out but I knew I could make it right. My good friend Amethyst mentioned Backup Vodka and an idea began to take shape. You see Val has this brilliant idea that someone should make a vodka called "Backup Vodka." (Are you listening vodka distributors?) When you are out of the good stuff you can switch to drinking Backup Vodka. I thought it was a great idea so I set out to create this mythical bottle of vodka.


Step one was to soak a bottle of vodka in water until the label came off. With my clean vodka bottle I could set out to create a new vodka label. After a few weeks of little to no work I ended up with an OK design that I didn't really feel passionate about. I was kind of bummed but I knew I wasn't putting my heart into it so I walked away from the project for awhile. It wasn't until I returned to the project about three months later that I ended up with a deigns I liked.

The final product was printed on photo paper and glued to the bottle giving it a professional look. To really make the bottle something special I cut out the center of the label so you can see through the bottle to read the message inside.

It turned out so good, I had a few time thought about printing up a few of these and stashing them on liquor store shelves just to see what happened. My idea was some sort of gorilla consumerist street art campaign that would sweep the nation. That idea never got off the ground but I did end up giving this to Val not to long ago and she liked it. I also made a quick video to show you the bottle in action. The pictures just don't do this thing justice.


Be sure to click on the final label above to check it out full sized.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is sooo awesome man. Well done.