Home       Pictures       Videos       Projects       Contact Me

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My How Time Flies

I look at the picture to the right and see all the collected works sitting on those shelves and it makes me think back on all the things I've written over the years. This blog was originally started in 2005 and has been in it's current form since December of 2007. In that time I've written thousands of words on all kinds of topics and yet I've never written a book before. I wonder why that is? Why is it that I can sit here and pour hours of time into writing about random bullshit when I haven't been able to consistently turn out some form of creative writing?

In March of this year I dug out all my old writing and story ideas in an effort to start writing creatively again. Instead of turning that pile of story ideas into something interesting I've instead turned it into a pile of paperwork next to my desk at worst or at best a Google Document. Sure I spent a few weeks going through all those notes and papers to see what was good but that was about all the farther I got with my writing projects. For the longest time I was using the fact that I was busy with school work to justify my lack of writing. Now that I no longer have that excuse I wonder why I'm not writing? I've even stopped updating this blog on a regular basis. I was going to write a blog about how I haven't had time to write because I've been too consumed with social activities. While it is true that I've been spending a lot of time with an amazing collection of friends and family that can't be the only reason I haven't been writing. I also wondered about the weather being a factor. With nice temperatures an almost daily occurrence I'm out in the yard a bit more. Maybe that is why I haven't been writing much lately?

I see all those books and I wonder how those writers got over the challenges of getting started. It might be the fact that I'm always focusing on too many creative projects at one time to get anything as monumental as a book started let alone finished. The truth is I'm just not doing it.

When I'm working on any other form of creative endeavor I'm always working on it. It might only be a few minutes a day but it is a daily activity until it is finished. Maybe if I make it a priority I'll actually get some stuff done. At any rate I need to write more, both for this blog and creatively.

2 comments:

Mike Branski said...

"It might be the fact that I'm always focusing on too many creative projects at one time to get anything as monumental as a book started let alone finished. The truth is I'm just not doing it."

This. I suffer from the same. Also, have you done NaNoWriMo (http://NaNoWriMo.org/)?

Brad Mackey said...

No but that is one of those things that I keep saying I want to try. Perhaps one of these days I'll be able to get my shit together and knock out something of interest. :)